Wednesday, March 01, 2006

From an die hard AR Rehman Fan

I remember my school days when I felt Rehman's music really refreshing and all youthful as I was urged to get into youthful days...Wishing I would get beard..Wishing I would grow moustache...Wishing to wear jeans all the days...Wishing the teenage gals to look at me anywhere..Wishing I have a girlfriend who "Loves" me.... Rehman's music was a fashion statement those days and he took tamil film music to another leap. His beats to fast paced tracks, freshness to the melodies, started as a bad background scorer but, turned out really amazing background music director (thanks to Big directors he got to work with !).

I never had favourite actor consistently those days but, Rehman had been my favourite in film industry. I never knew a single hindi word ..but, dared to buy all his hindi works too ! Height of a fan's desperacy is that I couldn't wait for Uyire to be released, bought Dil Se in haste and after couple of weeks, bought again Uyire audio. He slowly transitioned for good into more matured music with movies like Rhythm, Alaipayuthae, Kannathil Muthamittal, Vande Mataram, Iruvar, Kizhakku cheemaiyilae, and few hindi period movies to prove his versality. But, oflate he is truggling to get back his rhythm that he had in his olden days. Although Boys, New, A Ah, Rang De Basanthi were are his hits... there is certainly something lacking from him these days !


Of course, nothing is going to stop me from complementing other music directors... I feel yuvan has grown a big structure these years. In my recent Tamil audio listening, I honestly felt Pudhupettai (Yuvan) is lot better than Rang De Basanthi (Rehman). I took a chance, cursed my lack of hindi knowledge and wanted to see for next Rehman. Godfather ! I was not even interested to hear it again...Still, I forced myself to hear few times as I know Rehman's music is good as it grows on... nope ! I failed !! Jus a day back, I tried "Pattiyal" (Yuvan) which is simply mindblowing. I had heard atleast 15 times in a day i downloaded the songs. I think, Yuvan is fresh with experience, nativity and his music knowledge. I would love to see this youngh talent (Is he really young for this industry ???!!!!???) grow more and bigger !!!

4 comments:

Hell's Angel said...

hey i agree that yuvan is good but comparaing him with ARR is ridiculous.. Yuvan lifts most of his songs from english and arabic compared to ARR.. most of his hit songs are adaptation of arabic songs (good eg is 7G) in this regard ARR atleast give his own music atleast few of his master pieces r his own..

Karthik Srinivasan said...

I agree Yuvan's music is popular among youngsters but it lacks the richness and orchestration that Rahman's ones had (when Rahman was in the same postion in the industry as Yuvan now)

His "Kaadhal Kaadhal" from Kadhal Konden is a direct lift from a Spanish song(I think Raven's Foxwoman). And he reuses most of his father's bits in his music.

Of course, Rahman's roja songs and many others were also direct lifts from foreign albums but he has given a lot of boost to the image of Tamil Cinema Music.

Yuvan's music has lots of sounds and not soul except very few songs. Esp. when he sings(or speaks) I prefer running away from that place :-D

But he surely rocks with his rhythms as of now and Rahman has to get back to his form before his music is forgotten by Tamil audience.

Karthik Srinivasan said...

In short, my above comment says I don't prefer both, I am a fan of Vidhyasagar :-D

Hell's Angel said...

hey remember ARR has proved his versatility.. scoring music 2 films like karuthama to latest RDB.. u cant even juxtapose these 2 artistes