Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Carisbrooke Castle , Isle of Wight , UK


That was a very romantic British Spring weekend. I was definitely happy to get off the Chennai Summer and be there for a month. Although my passport page read "Business Entry", I still count that as one of my exotic vacations in recent years.

There was certainly no home-sick when I landed in Heathrow, London because, I had my return tickets in my hand and my stay is just for one month. But, still there is couple of reasons I was sad about.

One is that was April 14 - Tamil New Year Day. My mom was feeling like I missed a great opportunity to eat her "sakkara pongal" with the family (it jus matters 4 of us) on that day.

Another is April 14 (again !) - Release of Ghilli Tamil movie. My sister was feeling like she missed a great opportunity of going for that movie on the first day. In fact, I was not keen about the movie then ;-)

Coming back to the topic, the spring has just been rolled out and schools/universities were on spring vacation so, we were happy to roam around in local busses. UK was treating us with really longer day as the Sun was for us until 9 PM. On the first weekend, we cruised to an Island - Isle of Wight just few Kms off the harbour city - Portsmouth where IBM had its UK headquarters. There we had been trekking a little to get to the "Carisbrooke Castle". There you see my friend Thilak posing with our Hero.

I really forgot my family, friends, girlfriend that I do not get to call them because, I was all in mood to roam around and I was happy for the information and infrastructure that the country had for its visitor. I felt so comfortable with the place unlike bangalore where on returning from chennai, I still wink on every Monday morning where I should go further to reach my home.

All I learnt in one month was - " Definitely, i witnessed the reason UK ruled us for 100 years and I now saw what all they did with the money the looted from our Rajas and the civilians ". Indians in UK - realise this and return to bring India to the glory it deserves having produced so many software professionals !!!!

3 comments:

Karthik Srinivasan said...

Are u sure that British flourished so much only with our wealth?? I could not accept it...

We have adopted anything and everything from western culture except one thing-To behave like human beings.

U can build a castle and open it to public in Chennai... But our "civilized" crowd will decorate it for free with pan-beeda and salted H20 ;-)

We never learn from our losses but we rather keep speaking about whio caused it.. Unless this attitude changes, I could not fiorsee any developments in any part of India :-(

Hell's Angel said...

romantic weekend?? wat did u do never wrote abt that?? btw UK is swarming in luxury is partially cos of us.. the only useful thing they left behind is English..

Balachandran C said...

@ hell's angel,

It wasnt romantic personally... I meant to exaggerate the spring there !