Monday, December 21, 2009

Four (or more ) years back and now...

As a college boy, I stepped out of the university, watched several city buses go as I waited for that single bus that connects my college and home. There were days I used to stand for an hour or more ! Apart from typical reasons for college guy to have a bike, I used to think how much time I would be saving if I had a bike for commute. Well, after few months, I did buy one.

Couple of years later, the bike I had, as well as ,I aged. After losing couple of "knowns" and friends to fatal road accidents, I slowly refrained myself from using bike. No need to mention the weekend parking woos in Bangalore. Then, I started to look at (pluses of) cars and think how good it would be to take the family and ladies in it. I would not say, I enjoyed driving bike much then.

When it was the time, I got hold of an entry level hatchback and immediately, I started feeling I was finally there. After a year fighting for space on roads, avoiding roads during peak hours, thinking and planning for parking space everywhere I went, car became an overhead most of the times. I gave up taking car most of the times and have started using city buses and trains during week days and weekends. I know it is subjective. My house and office were nearby to bus stations.

I wait several minutes for the bus and forget the pressure to handle road space or parking space. I look at cars and the lonely commuter in them. Sometimes I watch few cars "hanging around" to park somewhere. I walk past happily towards the bus station.

Well, have several years passed by ?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you have completed one full circle(a small one though) in life.
Its like we do settle down with things we had years back. True in so many other examples too.

Karthik Srinivasan said...

public transport, esp roadway... has improved lot in past 2-3 yrs in Chennai.... The only inconvenience caused is by the 2 and 4 wheelers(read bike and cars) which cause all hindrances to the movement of public transport. Soon everyone should move on to public transport and reduce the carbon footprint they leave all over the city :D :D

Unknown said...

Hmmm i looked at more of the emotional side of the story than the environmental side.

Balachandran C said...

Well, if my profession had been "something else" I would have even projected it the "environmental way".

Daniel Silva said...

Gostei muito do que vocĂȘ escreveu. ParabĂ©ns! Parece um brasileiro descrevendo o seu dia a dia.